Have you ever had a date with Dates?
If you haven’t, you’re in for a real treat! Dates are like nature’s candy. They are sweet, delicious fruits from the tropical oasis packed with much needed minerals and energy to help you stay fit and healthy. Botanically, they are fruits that grow on the palm tree belonging to the family of Arecaceae. The tree is believed to originate from the banks of the Nile and Euphrates Rivers of ancient Egypt & Mesopotamia. Date palm is now grown for its edible fruits under warmer climates across all continents.
Date fruit has an outer fleshy part that surrounds a shell of hardened endocarp with a seed inside. The fruit is oval in shape and when ripe, range from bright red to depending on the variety. “Amir Hajj”, “Saidy”, “Khadrawy”, and “Medjool” are just some of the important varieties that are popular for their superior quality.
Some of the health benefits of this natural goodness include:
- The fruit is rich in dietary fiber, which prevents LDL cholesterol absorption in the gut
- They are moderate sources of Vitamin A, which is known to have antioxidant properties and essential for vision
- They contain health benefiting flavonoid polyphenolic antioxidants called Tannins. Tannins are known to contain anti-infective, anti-inflammatory, & anti-hemorrhagic (prevents easy bleeding tenancies) properties
- Excellent source of Iron
- Great source of Potassium, Calcium, Manganese, & Copper
- Helps to protect the colon mucous membrane by decreasing exposure time as well as binding to cancer-causing chemicals in the colon
There’s a good supply of them all year round at your local supermarket. I found some from small packet a little less than a pound for $2.99 to a 12 oz. pack for around $6.00.
Being nature’s cure for the common “sweet tooth”, I’ll always try to grab some before going to chocolate and I feel better knowing that not only did I eat something sweet and delicious, but it’s also giving my body much needed vitamins and minerals. They can also be included in many recipes or fruit salads as an healthy alternative to sugar.
So whether you’re married, single, or still looking……it’s all about the DATES! 😀